Newspaper Source Says Twins Owner Will Try To Keep Team In
Minn. For Next Two Years
MINNEAPOLIS, Posted 3:08 p.m. July 19, 1998 -- Minnesota Twins owner
Carl Pohlad plans to work out a lease that will keep his team playing at
the Metrodome for the next two years, according to a report published Sunday.
The Star Tribune cited an unnamed source close to Pohlad, who said Pohlad
would work out the lease in the hope of finding a way to build a new baseball
On Friday, Pohlad and team president Jerry Bell met with Henry Savelkoul
and Bill Lester of the Metropolitan Sports Facilities Commission, which
operates the Metrodome.
"They are working very hard," Pohlad said of the commission.
"We are working very hard, too, and are hopeful that something can
happen. But they can only go so far."
The Twins and the commission are scheduled for a 9 a.m. settlement hearing
Monday before Hennepin County District Judge Marilyn Rosenbaum. The commission
has filed a lawsuit trying to block the Twins from exercising an escape
clause that would let them out of their Metrodome lease after this season.
The commission has offered to drop the lawsuit and help the Twins make
more money for up to four years if they agree to look for a local buyer.
A new owner would have to commit to playing in the Metrodome through 2005.
Meanwhile, the Saint Paul Pioneer Press reported Sunday that some investors
from Charlotte, N.C., met with Pohlad on Thursday. Officials in Charlotte
have given the Twins until early August to decide whether they will move
there for 1999.
It has been believed the Twins would play in a minor league ballpark
in Fort Mills, S.C., if they left with the intention of eventually playing
in Charlotte. But the Pioneer Press reported that the Charlotte group seriously
would consider moving the Twins to Salt Lake City, home of the team's Class
AAA minor league club, for next season and possibly longer while a major
league ballpark could be built in Charlotte.